Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Reading Logs: Part 2

I wish I had a simple answer, that I just nixed reading logs and that is that.  It wasn't that simple for me.  My second graders DO have a Reading Log where they record the title of book they read that day/night.  There is also a place for them to Reflect on their reading from the week.  My reasoning for keeping the log is that I still want to ensure they are adding to their reading volume for the day, by reading at home.  They return the log to me on Fridays, and I respond to their reflections.  It's not a back and forth, daily reading log, which became such a burden in years past for me as a teacher, and last year as a parent.  No one in my house was thrilled with reading log "homework" last year. Addison's teacher this year  (a colleague and friend of mine!) is using the same reading log that I came up with, and so far, I have a daughter who WANTS to read each night, and it doesn't feel like a huge chore.  Whew!  Maybe it's the spin we put on it?  Maybe it's because it's not turned in daily, the nightly pressure isn't there?   But we're still encouraging "home reading?" I don't know what it is, but I'm hoping this low-pressure system (ha! sounds like a weather front!) continues to grow my little readers.

Side note:  I want to be clear that growing readers is not just about reading logs, there are gobs of other pieces in place that go into cheering our little readers along.  For example, TONS of read aloud, choice over what to read, a tricked-out classroom library that is inviting and stocked with engaging, books.  Maybe I should write a post on ways to engage our tiny readers?  :)

1 comment:

  1. It's now YEARS later, what have you landed on as your current answer to Reading Logs for homework? I'm struggling and would love to hear what your current thoughts are.

    ReplyDelete